Monday, June 11, 2007

Stratford-Upon-Avon and Les Miserables

It is now winding down to the last few days of the London Study Abroad program and I have to admit that a large part of me is very excited for the end!!!!
Last Monday my friends and I made our THIRD attempt to get tickets to the famous Les Miserables (the longest running musical). Everyone and their dog has seen this musical and my friends were determined to get me to the show since I had never seen it before. We arrived at the ticket office at 5:45 p.m. before the show was to begin at 7:30 p.m. If you come an hour before the show you can get very discounted tickets if the show is not already sold out! So this was our third time trying to get discounted tickets since we had been in London. The first time we attempted the show ended up selling out and the second time we tried it happened to be an English Holiday which mean there would be no discounted tickets sold for a week! So we were really hoping to get tickets this time! When we arrived the ticketers told us that they would not be selling tickets until 6:30p.m. and that the show would probably be sold out by then . . . we were so upset because we didn't want to be rejected three times. So we waited in the box office taking pictures of each other being sad and we continued to talk about how badly we wanted the tickets. I think the ticketers eventually got really sick of our sad faces waiting in the box office because at 6:00 p.m. he called us over and told us he had tickets for us at a student price. These tickets ended up being in the fourth row! It was such luck!!! The show was absolutely amazing! It was the best musical I have ever seen in my life! At the end of the show the whole audience is balling their eyes out!


Last Wednesday our program took a coach up to Stratford-Upon-Avon for a few days to tour Shakespeare's birthplace and see two beautiful productions done by the Royal Shakespeare Company. On our way to Stratford we stopped by Warrick Castle which is a famous old castle that has been turned into this medival theme park where we got to see little shows of archery and mideval birds. The castle was gorgeous and huge! It was so fun to climb up to the top of one of the towers and look down on all the little people!

We all stayed in Bed and Breakfast's that were so cute but really difficult when being accomadating to a girl's grooming! Whitney and my blow dryer did not work in the plugs for some reason which kept us from getting to do our hair for two days! It was horrible! On top of that, the shower had to be turned on by a power switch and I either had the choice of showering in ice cold water or boiling hot water. There was no median. During my whole shower I would turn the dial back and forth from cold to hot and finally by the time I was finished with my shower the water became a perfect temperature . . . which was useless by that time!


On our way back from Stratford we stopped in Oxford for a couple hours to tour the town and the university. It was a beautiful town with a lot of history! Oxford University was amazing! The campus looks like a castle in itself! Connected to the University is Christ's Church which is a very old castle like building that has the famous "great hall" where Harry Potter was filmed! Unfortunately we could not go inside Christ's Church because it was the day of naming the new Bishop. If only we had been there the day before!

This week will go by fast since it is filled with studying for finals and taking finals! Luckily I have home to look forward to at the end of the week and I absolutely cannot wait! Most people up here want to stay in Europe and travel but I cannot help how much I miss my family and Matthew!

No comments: