Saturday, May 12, 2007

Pampanga

So I finally got to do it. . . For about 8 months of my mission I was assigned in Bulacan, an area about an hour from Manila. While it is a rural area, there was always greener grass on the other side so to speak. While I loved being in Bulacan, I always heard that Pampanga on the other side was awesome. Well, today I finally was able to go to Pampanga. I went with Benjie to visit his family who are conveniently located in Pampanga. It was absolutely amazing. This place is awesome! I love being back here in the Philippines so much! Anyways, I digress. . .We had a hard time getting a bus as there were a ton of people going home for this three day weekend. Senatorial elections are on Monday so all of the offices are closed. Instead of waiting in the heat (about 90 degrees) in the long line, we just decided to ride the bus without seats. Standing for 2 hours isn't that bad, right? Well, we got on and it so happened that there was a seat! I let Benjie have it because he has been so good to me and hasn't slept for the past 4 weeks or so! I wonder sometimes about him. . .haha!


The ride was enjoyable. I got the normal stares that any white person would get here and got to talk to a few people. They are always so surprised when I start speaking Tagalog to them! I love it! We got to Pampanga and after riding a Jeepney and a tricycle for another 45 minutes or so we made it! We got some coconut drinks. . .two each and had a great day! Benjie's adopted family spent the whole day playing Tongits and gambling. We had food and I got to visit with the family. I never got to ride a carabou (water buffalo) and milk it! We are going to drink the milk in the morning. . .I was worried when Benjie said they took the milk inside to get rid of the dumi. . .Dumi here has two meanings you see. . .Dirt or Fecal matter. I am still not sure which one he was talking about! hehe


After a long day we finally got back after sitting in traffic forever! It seems like the traffic is worse than I remember. I think this is because the increase in the economy here and because of all the people traveling this weekend with elections coming up. . .The political campaigns here are funny. They take popular songs and turn them into songs about them. Vans drive around playing the songs and they make entertaining commercials. There are flyers everywhere and campaign commercials on constantly! I think it is great!


More to follow. . .

2 comments:

Matthew and Chelsea Abinante said...

Dang. . .after reading this the next day I was semi-incoherent when I wrote this. . . sorry!

Janster said...

Hi Matthew: That is so awesome! What a thoughtful (future) hubby! I enjoyed meeting your darling mom yesterday. Hopefully you will be on Skype in the very near future - I keep looking for you. Take care and have fun!
Love, Your Future Mom-In-Law